Nomination of Organizations
to Receive Outreach Contributions
from First Unitarian Church
for the 2013-14 Church Year
First Unitarian Church of Des Moines gives financial support to local nonprofit organizations from its Second Basket Collection taken each Sunday. In 2009, the Social Justice Council adopted the following process and requirements for nominating and selecting the organizations to receive Outreach Collections.
Download the nomination form (DOC) (PDF).
- The organization should be a non-profit corporation with a low administrative overhead cost and should devote most of its resources to providing services.
- The organization’s mission should be compatible with the principles of Unitarian Universalism.
- Preference is given to organizations that provide opportunities for volunteer service and/or greater community involvement for the congregation.
- Any active member of the church may nominate one non-profit organization in which that member has an active role, either as a volunteer or employee. The nominating member agrees to serve as a liaison between the church and the nominated organization.
- Complete and submit the nomination form (DOC) (PDF) by Sunday, April 21, 2013. Nominations should be returned to the Social Justice Council mailbox in the church office or emailed to Social.Justice.1st.UU(at)gmail(dot)com by that date.
- The Social Justice Council will evaluate whether each nomination meets the stated criteria. All those that meet the nomination criteria will be submitted to congregation members for consideration and vote at the congregational Annual Meeting in June.
- Each nominated organization may give a brief presentation about itself and its work at a Forum on Sunday, May 19, 2013, at 11 a.m.
- The nominating congregation member shall make a brief statement at the congregational Annual Meeting in June in support of the organization. At that time, each church member present will vote for up to two organizations by ballot. The two organizations receiving the most votes will receive the Outreach collection for the following church year beginning in September.
Nomination Form / Questions:
or call Katie Allen at 515-402-2245.