What is Unitarian Universalism?
Unitarian Universalist congregations, including First Unitarian Church of Des Moines, covenant to affirm and promote these seven principles:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
First Unitarian Church of Des Moines is a member of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations. This popular and brief overview, 100 Questions That Non-Members Ask About Unitarian Universalism, offers a distinctly humanist view of Unitarian Universalism and helps newcomers get a good feel of who we are. (Courtesy of our friends at Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashua, NH)
"Voices of a Liberal Faith" - UUA Introduction to Our Faith